Sunday, March 16, 2014

My {mostly} all natural skincare & make up

Ever since making the move over to natural skincare for my face via oil cleansing and LOVING it, I've decided to work other all-natural, mostly diy products into my other skincare regimens. I compiled this post back in January of last year and it quickly became the top pinned image image from my blog and received thousands of page views after having gone viral on Pinterest. I've received a lot of follow up questions, and I've also made several changes in the way I've made things, and have explored many new all-natural and organic products since that post, so I'm here today with a revised, bigger, & better explanation of my {mostly} all natural skincare & make up. 

I make my own body moisturizer, facial cleanser, facial moisturizer, toner, make-up remover, & deodorant:

BODY MOISTURIZER:
DIY: I fill an empty 4oz bottle with a mixture of different oils. I personally really like liquid coconut oil, jojoba oil, grape seed oil, and almond oil. Can also add in a few drops of vitamine e oil, + a few drops of your favorite essential oil. My favorite essential oils for body are lavender, lavender + mint, patchouli + lime and patchouli + orange. 

You can get little bottles anywhere - Target or Walmart toiletry travel section, and even Dollar Stores, although I really like the bottles from Mountain Rose Herbs, as they are specifically designed to contain carrier oils and essential oils, and are also made from recyclable materials. You can find your essential oils at any apocathery, Whole Foods, or online (I like Ananda's Apothecary but Amazon carries pretty much everything too). Whole Foods or a local apothecary is great if it's your first time buying so you can smell the samples and ask questions and talk to the store reps. 


FACIAL:


DIY Oil Facial Cleanser: A post all to itself, here. I also sell my custom facial oil cleansers here if you don't have the time or don't want to make yourself)

DIY Facial Moisturizer: I don't use any moisturizers because my oil cleanser keeps my skin properly hydrated. Sometimes, especially in the winter months, I apply my oil cleanser as a moisturizer and keep on throughout the day or at night. Of course, drinking lots of water helps too.

DIY Exfoliator: Occasionally I will use a homemade brown sugar exfoliator. This I probably do once a month, maybe a little more frequently in the winter months.

Make-Up Remover: Again, my oil cleanser works really great at removing both eye and face make up. Seriously, it's like a 3-in-1 product, and so good for your skin. 

Toner: Mix 2 part Apple Cider Vinegar to 1 part water. Combine in a small travel bottle, shake well, and apply to face with cotton ball after cleansing or before applying make-up. (Read more on various topical benefits of apple cider vinegar here).

DEODORANT:

DIY: Straight up lime juice. Fill in spray bottle and refrigerate. You can either juice fresh limes or use store bought lime juice, both will work great.
A lot of store bought brands use lime or lemon juice in their deodrant already and you will find that just using lime juice will work just as well and also smells really good. I was definitely doubtful and hesitant in trying this out but I am so, so happy I finally did because it really works well. I'll admit that there are a lot of other DIY, all-natural deodorants out there but that I haven't gotten around to experimenting or trying to make or use any others yet, but you really can't beat the ease of this one. 

SOAP:

I love 100% Pure's soap, which as you can guess from their name, are 100% pure and made from all natural ingredients. This organic olive oil & grapefruit soap is amazing, as is their lavender butter soap. I also enjoy castile soap from Dr. Bronner's. This stuff works just as good as bar soap & a little goes a very long way.

HAIR:

Shampoo & Conditioner: I use Pureology (the purple bottle, "Hydrate" line) which is absolutely ah-maz-ing. It contains NO sulfates and is 100% vegan and still top notch salon quality. It is on the more expensive side, but it totally pays off as one bottle will last you forever. You just need a very very small amount to get a really good lather and it leaves your hair so incredibly soft & sleek. 

Deep Conditioner: Coconut Oil once every month or as needed. 

Styling products: Moroccan oil & Argan oil. These are the only styling products I use in my hair. They are full of protein to strengthen your hair, omega-3 oils and vitamins for shine, as well as antioxidants. You can work a tiny, tiny bit through damp hair and then blow dry to lock in moisture and nutrients, and it will simultaneously serve as a de-frizzing, stylizing & volumizing agent as well.

NAILS:


Not all my nail polish is organic or vegan, and I do still love my essies & OPIs, but as far as natural & vegan nail polish goes, you can't beat Butter London. Their nail lacquers are non-toxic & vegan-friendly, go on smooth & have lots of amazing colors to choose from. My favorites are Cream Tea (pictured above) & Teddy Girl. You can find acetone-free removers now at mostly all convenient stores now but Butter also manufactures a nail polish remover pack that is acetone-free with more favorable scents like pina colada or almond.

MAKE-UP:

You should note that I very rarely wear make up anymore these days. I love, love make up, but since becoming a mom, and staying home, I really only put make up on when we go out socially on the weekends. 
I have a lot of make-up, and not all my make-up is chemical-free {yet} but I will run you through my favorite products that I use most often:
Foundation:
This took me a very long time to find, but I use and love 100% Pure Healthy Skin Foundation with Super Fruits. I can't even say enough great things about it. First of all, it is 100% natural and vegan, so I have no qualms about smearing it all over my face. Secondly, the quality of it is really great - it looks extremely natural, and it has a really light and smooth feel & effect while at the same time offers full coverage to even your skin tone out completely. I also put a little bit of my facial oil on my face first before applying so it blends better which works just like a tinted moisturizer.

Bronzer & Blush: Not vegan/organic, but currently using Estee Lauder's Bronze Goddess & Elizabeth Arden's Radiance Blush in Tearose.

Eyeliner & Mascara: Not vegan/organic but currently using "They're Real" mascara by Benefit & a thin black eyeliner from Maybelline. For big nights out, I love Stila's Smudge Pot in black for a more dramatic liner.
*EDIT just started Fruit Pigmented Mascara in Black Tea by 100% Pure and LOVIN it.

Lips:
Burts Bees tinted lip balm in color Hibiscus. This is a staple that I always have on me, looks good with or without make up, is the perfect color, and is 100% natural.

Chanel rouge allure velvet lipstick in #42 (my fave) - not organic but I only wear for special nights out and it is truly the best lipstick product I have ever known.

For a basic chapstick at night with no color I use plain old petroleum jelly as well as Lansinoh lanolin. I know that sounds kind of gross but it is the purest thing out there and safe for even the tiniest of babies to ingest and works really well to moisturize and protect severely dry lips/skin.

Other natural chapsticks I love are Dr. Bronner's 100% organic lip balms (the peppermint is my fave)

*Not pictured, my new favorite bright red lip, Stila's Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Tesoro.
Also not pictured, my favorite casual pink, Lancome's Rouge in Love lipstick in Corally Pink

FOR BABY:

Bath Wash & Shampoo: Love Everyday Shea, California Baby, & Burt's Bees

Moisturizer: Currently use my Extract body oil to moisturize & massage the babes with after baths. It works great and is 100% organic & a gentle moisturizer for their sensitive skin. A follow up from the earlier version of this post regarding Landon's ezcema - ultimately not a single topical cream worked. We finally cut out milk from his diet and he only drinks almond milk and coconut milk now, and low & behold, his eczema is gone :)

Diaper Cream: Burt's Bees diaper ointment all the way. I've pretty much tried every single ointment out there (organic and non-organic) and Burt's Bees works the best by FAR and also smells so, so good. If you are looking for all-natural, some mamas like the organic Budreaux's Butt Paste - I haven't had much luck with it but I know it's popular amongst other health/product conscious mamas. I've also heard lots of mamas using Coconut Oil for diaper rash, this hasn't worked well for us but reportedly does for many.


Got any other all-natural diy or vegan products that you currently use & love? Leave a comment and share! I'd love to hear more :)

Also, if you are interested in learning more about why you should make the move from conventional OTC skincare products and cosmetics to all-natural DIY products or certified vegan/organic products, please watch this short youtube video:



2 comments:

  1. Great post! I moved to natural cruelty free products about a year ago and have never been happier. I was surprised to see that some of the products you have listed are from brands with parent companies that support animal testing. Pureology is owned by L'Oreal and Burt's Bees is a Clorox product. I have found it super frustrating to buy products marketed as vegan just to find out that they sold their soul to the devil. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting article, Which you have shared here about the natural skincare & make up. Your article is very informative and useful for those who are interested to know more about the natural skincare & makeup by the essential oils. Keep sharing this type of articles here. Myrrh Essential Oil for Sale USA

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...