Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Oil Cleansing Method


**EDIT: Now SELLING custom made organic oil cleansers in my etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/extractskincare -- Please check out my shop & feel free to contact me with questions!!

Before you call me a crunchy hippy, please just listen to what I have to say ;)

I used to use (& spend tons of money on) all sorts of OTC and designer cleansers, creams, & topical ointment, plus a prescription retinol cream that I used for acne outbreaks that would occur around my chin area.
When I found out I was pregnant the first time, I had to stop using anything containing any chemicals on my skin, or else, as you other mamas know, they would be absorbed through my skin into my body and harm the developing baby. After years of using all these cleansers and creams I was nervous I would break out like never before, but what I found was the exact opposite - My skin improved. Dramatically.

I first heard about the OCM a few months ago. At first I thought it was totally counter-intuitive (who the heck would think washing your face with oil wouldn't cause you to break out?) But I did some more research on it read several articles and testimonials from women who used it and it started to totally make sense. Now, I have been making and using my own oil cleanser for about 4 years now and absolutely love it. My skin feels and looks better than ever, & even through the most hormonal, acne-prone periods of my life.
Basically the reason this all makes sense and works for every single skin type is because our skin is made up of oils -- really good oils that we don't want to dry out and add chemicals to. According to chemistry, like dissolves like. So, effectively what you’re doing is dissolving and wiping away all the dirty oil on your face and replenishing it with cleansing, nourishing oil. So cleansing your face with these essential cleansing oils gets dirt our of your pores and restores your skin's natural moisture balance. & all in a natural way, without chemicals or products that strip your skin of its natural oils. What happens when you strip your skin of its natural oil is that it goes into overdrive, trying to create more - which leads to clogged pores, blackheads, whiteheads, & irritation. (I'm sure many of you have heard the like before with the negative result of over-shampooing, right?)

Okay so now that we know how awesome this is for your skin, here's the low down on the oils.
  • Castor Oil is the main one you need in any mixture. It is the base ingredient in all mixtures as it is the most cleansing & dissolving oil & also highly antibacterial in nature. It also tends to be drying so if you have oily skin, just increase its amount. & likewise if your skin is dry, take a little out.
  • Sunflower Seed Oil (for all skin types and for dry skin)
  • Jojoba Oil (for all skin types and for acne-prone skin)
  • Sweet Almond Oil (For all skin types and for oily skin)
  • Olive Oil (all skin types)
  • Avacado Oil (dry and aging skin)
  • Grapeseed Oil (All skin types, and for oily skin)
You can use any of these in combination to make your own concoction, tailored to your skin type. Once you pick your oils you need to mix them together. I've found it's easiest to work in terms of halves and thirds. Basically Castor Oil is going to be used in any combination of oils. So you use 2/3 in your mixture for oily skin, 1/3 of it if you have dry skin, and 1/2 of it in your mixture for normal skin. The remaining 1/3, 2/3, and 1/2 (respectively) is filled with secondary oils listed above. Make sense?

You may need to play around with these for a few trial runs to see which & what proportion of these feel best on your skin. (I currently use/love my mixture of Castor, Jojoba, & Sunflower).
I get my oils and containers online @ Mountain Rose Herbs, a very trusted company, or Whole Foods when I'm in a pinch and need something right away (everything can be found in their natural skincare section). AND - you can add in a yummy, relaxing, or invigorating scent by adding in a few drops of an essential oil. Tea Tree is great for acne-prone skin, lavender and chamomile are great for all skin types in general, and a few others I love are Peppermint, Lemon, and Rosemary.

Instructions:
  1. Mix your oils together in a little container. No need to make a lot, especially for your first time trying, you are bound to empty some out and add in more of a different kind until you find the combination & proportion of oils that is right for you. The travel sized empty tubes you can get at any drugstore (Target, Walmart, etc.) are perfect for this. 
  2. Shake up your mixture and put about a quarter-sized amount of oil in your palms, and massage in circular motions onto your face. This is also a great make-up remover so you can start cleansing with a completely dirty, made-up face. Take your time, make sure the oils are deeply & completely massaged into your pores. 
  3. Run a washcloth under steaming hot water and place over your face until it cools. This part is important because the hot steam is what works with the oils to open & cleanse your pores of all the impurities. 
  4. Wipe the oil gently away and repeat step 3 once more. No need to scrub, just a gentle wipe.

A Few Misc. Notes:
  • Typically you should only need to do this once a day at night. No need to deep cleanse in the morning if you're waking up with skin cleansed the night before. You may not even do it every night. You don't want to over cleanse & cause more oil production & irritation...remember the objective of all this is to clean while balancing your skin's oil production at the same time. If you don't do it every night, on the nights off, please don't use a cleanser with chemicals & unknown ingredients...just stick to some other all-natural cleanser so your skin doesn't get totally confused & irritated. 
  • This takes time! Any major change in a skincare regimen will at first irritate your skin. When I first started this I broke out pretty bad around my chin, but I added in a little more Jojoba & after 1-2 weeks it will clear and work the way it is supposed to. If it doesn't seem to be working for you don't give up! Just alter your ingredients or amounts and you will find it was well worth the transition time and trial & error. 
  • You may find you don't need moisturize as much or as often as you used to. 
  • The only oil you really want to stay away from is Coconut Oil, it tends to cause blackheads by clogging pores.
  • If you're not up for starting the Oil Cleansing Method just yet, or have tried it but just don't love it, I would still highly recommend using all-natural skincare products & make-up. (Some of the ones I used that I still highly recommend are Burt's Bees products herehere, & here). WATCH THIS VIDEO!!!!
**EDIT: Now SELLING custom made organic oil cleansers in my etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/extractskincare -- Please check out my shop & feel free to contact me with questions!!

13 comments:

  1. Girl- you are awesome! Keep up the oiling! Have you tried adding essential oils to your OCM?

    : ) Your blog is darling, and you are a beautiful mama.

    Love,
    Mandy
    shebreathesdeeply.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, so I have been using the ocm method for over a month now. My face isn't as oily as it use to be but it isn't smoothe or one color. I have been using 2/3 castor oil and the rest with sunflower oil, and 10 drops of tea tree oil. I reserched that tea tree oil evens out your skin tone. I feel my skin tone is getting worst and just the quality of my skin isn't good. I would love for you to help me.

    Lisa.celestin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wrote you an email -- hopefully it helps and let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    I have been using the OCM for a couple weeks now and I LOVE it! It is the best thing that I have ever done for my face, but I still feel like I want a little bit more for my skin. I have dry acne prone skin and since starting the OCM my face has cleared up a lot but I still have blotches. I read a post on the Dreams to do blog about using the OCM and the clarisonic mia 2. She said that she still used an OTC soap when using the Mia 2 and I have read a lot that if your going to do the OCM that you shouldn't mix other stuff because it will confuse your skin... So I was wondering if you thought it would be ok to use the Mia 2 with my oil? I'm just not sure because I was thinking that maybe it would push the oil too deep and clog up my pores even more. I really don't know that's why I'm reaching out to you! I am really intrested in using the clarisonic but I dont want to spend that much money if its not going to mesh well with the OCM. Thank you for any help you can give!

    kls141.ks@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa!

    I will be trying out the OCM method starting tonight, it's how I found your blog! Doing some research before of course, it is my face! I do have a few questions, first of all, I work out 5-6 days a week so by the time I get home my face is gross and sweaty. Should I still use the method you use to clean it or just wash my face with water, dry it, and then do your method? i just feel like if I do the OCM method while my face is that dirty, it's going to break my skin out. Also, same question as Kelsey! I have a clarisonic mia and I do love it, it's the only thing that makes me feel like I've gotten all the dirt off my face so can I use the OCM method with it? I will also be trying out the Burt Bee's Cleanser as my daily cleanser in the morning. So I guess I'm trying to work out a routine, I know you say to use the OCM method at night but when should I use my clarisonic, or should I even use it? I feel like I need a scrub once in a while, your links didn't work for your Burt Bee's products so yeah, help please! lol Thanks :)

    Aimee aimeemrtnz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wrote you an email - hope it helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete
  5. I am really wanting to try this oil cleansing but I just read that castor oil promoted hair growth. Have you or have you heard of anyone getting more facial hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have not! And no one I know has experienced that either. Hope you give it a go! ;)

      Delete
  6. I have acne prone skin and have turned to natural methods of cleansing.. I have been trying coconut oil.. Baking soda.. Tea tree oil and it's not helping. I saw where you said to stay away from coconut oil, maybe that's why I am staying broken out. So should I use say, 2 tablespoons castor oil and jojoba oil and a few drops of tea tree oil? I have fairly normal skin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Yes although coconut oil is great for your body, it is comedogenic which means can clog pores, so stay away from it on your face. Also stay away from olive oil, for some reason this oil just doesn't work well for most people. I would recommend working in thirds - 1/3 castor, 1/3 jojoba, and 1/3 either grapeseed (if your skin is more on the oily side) or sunflower seed oil (for dryer skin). Then make any necessary adjustments...for example, a little less castor and more grapeseed or jojoba if you feel your skin is too dry, or adding in more castor if you think too oily. Tea Tree is a great essential oil to add for acne, & the jojoba oil is also especially great for acne prone skin.
      Hope all this helps!
      If it feels like too much please feel free to check out my etsy shop and I can make you your own custom oil cleanser :) www.extract.com/shop/extractskincare
      Good luck!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much!!! I will check out your store!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I'm also curious about how to use OCM with my Clarisonic. I'd love any input you have!

    rebekahpark@me.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...