Tuesday, May 19, 2015

DIY Surf Spray for Beachy Waves


Wanted to share with you all today a super simple, super cheap, & effective DIY surf spray for those popular beach waves everyone is doing. I recently chopped 8 inches off my hair to sport the new 'lob' 'do, which I absolutely love! It is so easy to style and in my opinion looks the best when styled with these loose beachy waves. I bought Bumble & Bumble's Surf Spray right after my haircut, but for $25 a small bottle, I figured out how to make a very similar spray which will cost you next to nothing, and made from all natural ingredients and no chemicals! Many of the sea salt sprays are also drying to the hair, as salt pulls moisture and natural oils out, but this recipe contains epsom salt (which is less drying), as well as coconut oil, which is sooo good and hydrating for your hair.

This is a super simple recipe you can make at home, and it literally costs about 1/50th of the store bought versions. It adds great texture and volume to your hair without the chemicals, and If you make it yourself, you can customize to your hair type to get the texture you want! I use this all the time to style my new 'do -- I spray all over hair when damp, rough blow dry or air dry, curl a few small sections of hair with a 1" or 1.5" curler, and then spritz again as a finishing spray to lightly hold (SO much better than hairspray which can look greasy and crunchy)

What You'll Need:
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons epsom salts
- 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon liquid coconut oil (if you don't have coconut oil you can use almond oil or jajoba oil. If you have fine/oily hair, you might not even need to add any oil - this just moisturizes and offsets the dryness caused by the salt)
- 5-6 drops lavender essential oil (lavender's my fave but I think citrus scents would also smell great!)
- 8 oz spray bottle (check out Walmart or dollar store)

Directions:
1. Dissolve Epsom salt and aloe vera gel into hot water.
2. Combine coconut oil and essential oil
3. Pour into spray bottle and shake well.
That's all! Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...