Thursday, January 31, 2013

My {mostly} diy natural skincare & make-up

Ever since making the move over to natural skincare for my face via oil cleansing and LOVING it, I've decided to work other all-natural, mostly diy products into my other skincare regimens. Since so many of you ask me, and since I find myself having these all-natural skincare conversations almost daily, I've finally got enough information digested and tested out to put together a well informed post.

After trying a few different concoctions and other organic store-bought products I've settled into what works best for me and am very, very happy with the effectiveness, price point, and of course chemical-free-ness (esp. as I am hoping to bake another lil bun in the oven soon) I hope you can try some of these out for yourself, & let me know what you think of them!

I make my own body moisturizer, facial cleanser, facial moisturizer, toner, make-up remover, & deodorant:

BODY MOISTURIZER:
DIY: I use Fill spray bottle with oil (would recommend jojoba oil, liquid coconut oil, or almond oil), a few drops of vitamine e oil, + a few drops of your favorite essential oil (My favorites are lavender or patchouli and lime or patchouli and orange)

You can get little travel spray bottles pretty much anywhere - Target, Walmart, Dollar Stores, etc. and you can find your essential oils at any apocathery, Whole Foods, or online (I like Ananda's Apothecary but Amazon carries pretty much everything too). Whole Foods or a local apothecary is great if it's your first time buying so you can smell the samples and ask questions and talk to the store reps.

DEODORANT:

DIY: Straight up lime juice. Fill in spray bottle and refrigerate. You can either juice fresh limes or use store bought lime juice, both will work great.
A lot of store bought brands use lime or lemon juice in their deodrant already and you will find that just using lime juice will work just as well and also smells really good. I was a little doubtful and hesitant in trying this out but I am so, so happy I finally did. No more chemicals or wasting money, and I'm fresher than I ever was before, win-win-win. Seriously, try it, you'll be happy you did.

FACIAL:

DIY Oil Facial Cleanser: A post all to itself, here. & you can buy my custom facial oil cleansers here.

DIY Facial Moisturizer: I don't use any moisturizers because my OCM keeps my skin properly hydrated. Sometimes I won't wipe off all the oil completely to give a little extra moisture/glow throughout the day. Of course, drinking lots of water helps too.

DIY Exfoliator: Occasionally I will use my homemade brown sugar exfoliator. This I probably do once a month, maybe a little more frequently in the winter months.

Make-Up Remover: My oil works really great at removing both eye and face make up.

Toner: Mix 2 part Apple Cider Vinegar to 1 part water. Combine in travel container, shake well, and apply to face with cotton ball after cleansing or before applying make-up. (Read more on the amazing topical benefits of apple cider vinegar here).


SOAP:

I love Beau Savon's handmade soaps, which have all natural ingredients and contain no preservatives or lather enhancers. They smell amazing and there are so many different kinds to choose from but some my favorites are Champagne Swizzle, Crimson & Clover, European Blend, & Milk & Honey. (Great to give away as gifts too - these are beautifully packaged and can buy 4 or 5 bars at a time for discounts).
Also currently loving the castile soap from Dr. Bronner's. This stuff is amazing & just a little goes a very long way!

HAIR:

Shampoo & Conditioner: I use Pureology (the purple bottle, "Hydrate" line) which is absolutely ah-maz-ing. It contains NO sulfates and is 100% vegan and still top notch salon quality. It is on the more expensive side, but it totally pays off. One bottle will last you forever. You just need a very very small amount to get a really good lather and it leaves your hair so, so incredibly soft & sleek. 

Deep Conditioner: Coconut Oil once every month or so. 

Styling products: Moroccan oil. This is the only product I use in my hair and am a huge spokesperson for it -- It is full of protein to strengthen your hair, omega-3 oils and vitamins for shine, as well as antioxidants. You can work a tiny, tiny bit through damp hair and then blow dry to lock in moisture and nutrients, and it will simultaneously serve as a stylizing & volumizing agent as well.

NAILS:

Not all my nail polish is organic or vegan, but I recently started on two new, non-toxic, vegan-friendly brands, Butter & Scotch Naturals and love them both A LOT. Favorite Butter brand color: Yummy Mummy. How appropriate. Favorite Scotch brand colors: Roasted Mellow and Neat. You can find acetone-free removers now at mostly all convenient stores now but Butter also manufactures a nail polish remover pack that is acetone-free with more favorable scents like pina colada or almond, and Scotch a soy polish remover.

MAKE-UP:

You should note that I very rarely wear make up anymore these days. I love, love make up, but since becoming a mom, and staying home with Landon, I really only put make up on when we go out socially on the weekends. 
I have a lot of make-up, and not all my make-up is chemical-free {yet} but I will run you through my favorite products that I use most often:

Foundation:
Currently using up my Bobbi Brown foundation stick (not organic/vegan) which I really like, but have problems smearing something all over my face that is not 100% organic or vegan. It does however work really, really well, and was about $45, so am just finishing the stick. I put a little bit of my facial oil on my face first before applying so it blends better and moisturizes, and looks more natural.

I also use Lush powder foundation which is vegan and made with jojoba oil. Will also add in a little bit of my oil mixture to this to make this a more of a tinted moisturizer, which comes out amazing.

Eyeliner & Mascara: I've tried organic certified mascara but had zero luck with it (But to be honest, I've only tried Organic Wear by Physicians Formula) However, this mascara did not last long at all and ran and left black smudges under my eyes within an hour of putting it on.....I used it twice and then chucked it in the trash and resorted to my favorite "They're Real" mascara by Benefit (truly amazing) and favorite thin black eyeliner from Maybelline

Lips:
Burts Bees tinted lip balm in color Hibiscus. This is a staple that I always have on me, looks good with or without make up, is the perfect color, and is 100% natural.

Chanel rouge allure velvet lipstick in #42 (my fave) - not organic but I only wear for special nights out and it is truly the best lipstick product I have ever known.

For a basic chapstick at night with no color I use plain old petroleum jelly as well as Lansinoh lanolin. I know that sounds kind of gross but it is the purest thing out there and safe for even the tiniest of babies to ingest and works really well to moisturize and protect severely dry lips/skin.

Current favorite lip balm are Dr. Bronner's 100% organic lip balms (the peppermint is awesome!)

FOR BABY:


Bath Wash & Shampoo: Everyday Shea. This stuff is only $10 for 32 fl oz and a little goes a verrry long way. I've had this now for months and we still have a long way to go. It smells absolutely amazing, made up from shea leaf to moisturize & soften lil baby's sensitive skin. I love the blend of this lemon, eucalyptus, and mint for a really nice, invigorating yet also calming scent.
Also use this same brand for shampoo, either lavender or vanilla mint scented. Again, a tiny bit goes a long way. I used to buy Landon new toiletries almost every single week but since switching over to Everyday Shea, I haven't had to buy him wash or shampoo in months.



Moisturizer: Landon has ezcema so we use an intense moisturizer, Hydrolatum which I absolutely love. It is super moisturizing, and made up entirely of petroleum and purified water. It works especially well for eczema flair ups and is gluten free, steriod free, peanut free, and alcohol free. And it doesn't leave behind the greasy residue that you get with Aquaphor or Eucerin. Great, great product :)


Diaper Cream: Burt's Bees all the way. I've tried every single ointment out there (organic and non-organic) and Burt's Bees works the best by FAR and also smells so, so good. If you are looking for all-natural, some mamas like the organic Budreaux's Butt Paste - I haven't had much luck with it but I know it's popular amongst other health/product conscious mamas. I've also heard lots of mamas using Coconut Oil for diaper rash, this hasn't worked well for us but reportedly does for some.

Got any other all-natural diy or vegan products that you currently use & love? Please leave a comment and share! I'd love to hear more :)

Also, if you are interested in learning more about why you should make the move from conventional OTC skincare products and cosmetics to all-natural DIY products or certified vegan/organic products, please watch this short youtube video:




2 comments:

  1. This post is AWESOME! I've never heard of the OCM before. I just got hooked on argan oil as a moisterizer, but I still use cetaphil for my face wash. I'll have to research this a little more and maybe give it a try! I have very acne prone skin and I really want to get control of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would love OCM! I'm writing you an email right now --

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...